On the night of July 15 to 16, 1944, two bombs fell on the choir of Sainte-Julitte Cathedral, collapsing the vaults and partially destroying the 18th century stalls.
Seventy-two years later and after a first restoration campaign interrupted in the early 1980s, the stalls are now back in the choir of Nevers Cathedral.
The stalls after the 1944 bombardment
This ambitious reassembly project, which involves the installation of 50 stalls and their rich woodwork with sculpted medallions and pilasters, is managed by the DRAC of Bourgogne and the Cairn architectural firm. It was carried out jointly by our manufacturing and restoration workshops.
Four issues guided the project :
- Restore old elements altered during the bombardment :
Medallion before/after intervention
Parclose before/after intervention
- Take back the items restored and/or restituted during the 1980 campaign and stored in crates :
Completion of the assemblies on a medallion restored in the 1980s
- Restitute the many missing elements :
- Carry out the additional installations necessary for the presentation of the stalls in the cathedral: structure, parquet floors, fence woodwork, etc.
After 1 year of workshop work and a spectacular blank assembly, the stalls are currently in the process of installation and will soon be visible to the public.
Trial assembly at the workshop